Advising Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can I make an appointment to see an advisor?

Criminal Justice faculty advisors have drop-in office hours with no appointment needed. If none of the available times work for you, please email them directly to set up an appointment. The advisors’ office hours and contact information can be found on the Advising page.

2. How do I declare my major or minor in Criminal Justice Studies?

As of Fall 2013 Criminal Justice Studies is impacted, so there are now stricter requirements and deadlines for becoming a Criminal Justice Studies major. This applies to current SF State students wanting to change or declare a major in Criminal Justice Studies and freshmen or transfer students applying to SF State. Please see the Prospective Students page for information on becoming a CJ major or minor. 

3. What do I need to do to graduate as a Criminal Justice Studies major?

The major or minor requirements can be found on the department roadmaps. Check your DARS report to see if you have met all the requirements. You can also bring your DARS to an advisor for evaluation. Please see the Graduation page for information about graduating and about department and university graduation events.

4. Do my Community College classes in Criminal Justice count towards the Criminal Justice major at SFSU?

Please see the Transfer Policy on the Prospective Students page.

5. Do my Segment III courses fulfill major requirements too?

You may double-count two Segment III courses as both GE and major courses. One Segment III course must be unique from the major. Please see the Segment III page for further details.

6. Who can I talk to about General Education requirements?

The Undergraduate Advising center can help you with GE courses and other requirements not directly related to the CJ major. Please see their website for more information.

7. How do I get an internship?

Many of the Criminal Justice faculty have contacts in the community and can help you find internships. Please see one of the faculty advisors for assistance.

8. How do I get an independent study?

Please contact one of the Criminal Justice faculty with whom you would like to do an independent study. They will work with you to create a project and can give you the section and permit number to register for CJ 699.

9. What do I do if all the classes I need are full?

Due to budget constraints we have been able to offer a limited number of Criminal Justice courses each semester. Consult the roadmaps to find a list of courses that count towards the CJ major or minor. If you are unable to get into any of those courses, please see a faculty advisor for suggestions.

10. Can I take more than two classes from one of the four elective categories?

Yes, until further notice, you may take 8 elective courses from any of the four categories to fulfill the CJ major requirements (4 courses for the minor). You no longer have to worry about getting 2 from each category. Please choose these electives based on availability and your personal academic interests. See the department roadmaps for lists of possible electives. The requirements for CJ 300, CJ 323 or 330, and CJ 680 remain the same.

11. Can I take a GWAR class from another department?

To fulfill the GWAR requirement, you may take a GWAR class from any department on campus. However, one of the two GWAR classes available in Criminal Justice, CJ 323 and CJ 330, is also required as part of the major foundation core, so you will have to take one of them anyway. Please see the Writing Requirement page for details.

12. If a course (from another department) has changed title but has the same number, does it still count as a CJ elective?